Frequently Asked Questions
From GSC Wiki
What is GSC?
- GSC is a gaming application for Windows and Mac (coming soon) that provides instant messaging, game statistics, tracking, profiles, and voice servers for free.
Who created GSC?
- GSC was created by GameServers.com, the leading Game Server provider in the world with over 14 locations worldwide. The developers are musikit and maul.
What is a voice server?
- A voice server is a software that transmit audio between users. This is a common thing for gamers to use to communicate with their team members or clan.
- GSC was created after recognizing the need for an easy to use gaming client that incorporated voice communication without the complexity or cost of running your own voice server. GSC makes it easy for your clan to find games, track stats, communicate using voice, and send instant messages without ever leaving your game.
How is GSC free?
- GSC is supported by GameServers.com, the largest Game Server provider. There are some non intrusive ads to help support the cost of running the GSC infrastructure. Rest assured there are no plans to charge for GSC.
Where are the 14 datacenters for GSC voice servers located?
- Amsterdam, Netherlands - Atlanta, Georgia - Chicago, Illinois - Frankfurt, Germany - Dallas, Texas - Jersey City, New Jersey - London, England - Los Angeles, California - Montreal, Quebec - Newark, New Jersey - San Jose, California - Seattle, Washington - St. Louis, Missouri - Tampa Bay, Florida
Does GSC incorporate spyware?
- We hate spyware. We would never include spyware in any of our applications. Our software is 100% Spyware Free.
When will the Mac client be released?
How can I close or delete my account?
- Since all GSC accounts are linked to GameTracker.com, you will have to close your account from your settings page at GameTracker.com. http://www.gametracker.com/account/manage/edit.php
How do I get GSC?
- Visit our website, http://www.getgsc.com/, click the download now button on the upper right hand side of the page. Your web browser will ask if you wish to save or open the executable file. We would suggest saving it to your desktop and double clicking it after the download is complete. After double clicking the executable you will be brought into the installation process, follow the simple steps and you will be up and running in no time.
What are the system requirements for GSC?
- Please visit System Requirements page for a list of the hardware/software requirements to run GSC.
Which ports should I open on my firewall?
Firewall and NAT setup can be found on the firewall setup page.
How do I reset my GSC configuration to the factory default?
- The following page has a step-by-step guide on how to reset your GSC client's settings without having to uninstall/reinstall the client.
Are the voice servers hosted locally on my PC or on your network?
- GSC Voice Servers (Servers) are hosted on the GSC Network. This means that even when you are not running GSC your voice server and all its settings are preserved.
How do I create my own voice server?
- Select the File menu on the GSC buddy list panel and click 'Create Voice Server'. You will then need to select a unique name for your voice server and the geographic location you would like it to be hosted in. For the highest possible voice quality select a location closest to you.
How do I manage the settings for my voice server?
- Join your voice server and click the Voice Server Admin menu in the upper left hand corner of the voice server window. When it drops down, click on "Manage..." From here you will be able to fully customize your voice server exactly how you want it.
What voice codecs does GSC support?
- We currently support Speex and GSM voice codecs. You can select your favorite codec in your voice server management panel.
How do I create a sub room within my voice server?
- When you are in the admin area for your server, select the 'Rooms' Tab and click 'Add New Room' on the bottom part of the management window. You then must select a Room Name, Topic, Parent Room, and Max Users that can join this server. If you select 'Require PTT to join' your clan members will not be able to join the server unless they have configured Push-To-Talk in their settings. You can set this room as an 'AFK Room'. Users will be automatically moved to this server if their status changes to AFK. You can also make the sub room password protected so others can only join it if you have given them the password.
How do I ban someone from my voice server?
- You can right click on their name from within the voice server and select ban from the menu. You can also go to the server admin area and select the 'Ban Control' Tab. From within the tab you can ban accounts, IP addresses, or entire subnets.
How do I unban someone I've banned from my voice server?
- Open your voice server and click the voice server admin area. Select the 'Ban Control' tab. Highlight the username of the person you would like to unban and click 'Remove Selected Ban'. Click 'Ok' and you have removed the ban.
How do I change my login/user name?
- Unfortunately at this time we can not support the changing of login/user names.
How can I get banners for my voice server for my website?
- Please visit GSC website and click on Banners
How can I get banners in another format then the ones GSC provides?
- Please feel free to write your own banner. All information on how to query a GSC 2.00 voice server can be found here
I forgot my password. How can I reset it?
I never got my activation email. How can I it resent to me?
When will a feature I request be put into GSC?
- Unfortunately we can not disclose information about when features will be included in GSC.
When will a bug I reported be fixed?
- Unfortunately we can not disclose information about when a bug fix will be included in GSC.